Monday, February 6, 2012

It's cookie time!

Those Girl Scouts...they've got it figured out, haven't they?  In the winter time while we're all snuggled in our homes near hibernation, noshing on all the not so healthy food that the holidays bring, the adorable neighbors, nieces, and/or daughters of co-workers come around with the order form.  Before you know it, 5 or 6 boxes have been ordered, and they'll let you know when they come in.  Then the first of the year arrives, with the resolve that THIS year will be the year that your healthy eating plan lasts longer than January 7th.  A few weeks into this resolution that's actually sticking this time, they show up: those little boxes of sugary-sweet, for a good cause, temptation.

Yeah.  I have 5 boxes right now.  Impressively enough, they've been in my house since Sunday, and we haven't eaten a whole box yet.  I ended up with 2 boxes of Thin Mints, which will be devoured by the males of the household, 2 boxes of Caramel de Lites, which I could devour in a single sitting, and 1 box of Lemonades, which are for JUST me.  Funny enough, many of the ladies in our Weight Watch Us group on base all received our cookies on the same day.  Really quickly there were posts declaring what the Points+ values were for each flavor because we'd all run to look them up.

I needed to face the fact that 2 cookies at a time were going to be it.  What if I could pump up the size of my snack without adding points?  Aha - I SO can!  Insert sliced strawberries and FF Cool Whip.
Uh, YUM! Right?!

The only problem is that the mooch problem that I've had in the past with pears and other just-for-Mom snacks reared it's little fingers again:
Seriously.  Whipped cream with bare hands?  What savage kind of household is this?!

But hey, if my kids can learn good eating habits from me, embrace treats in moderation, and include healthy fresh fruits and vegetables into their diet, it can't be all bad, right?  And speaking of not bad, how GOOOD does this look?


I had a stroke of genius this afternoon, and I'm thinking I'm going to take 2 Lemonades, put some FF whipped cream mixed with sliced strawberries inside, and sandwich it together, then freeze it like a super yummy no-ice-cream-ice-cream-sandwich.  I'll let you know how that goes.  I've done it with graham crackers in the past.  

Now to figure out which fruit will pair best with Caramel de Lites...


***UPDATE***

I made the ice cream sandwichy thing.  OH MY.  I am a genius!  I do wish I'd sliced the strawberries a little thinner or maybe diced them up.  They were a little hard to bite into frozen.  It was a super delicious snack!  Take a look!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, that looks delish! Thanks for posting!

Chrissy said...

There are so many things I relate to about this post it is just silly. So I'll write you a book here.....

I like your fingernails.

I have 10 boxes on order. Yes, 10. I love GS cookies and I know a lot of Girl Scouts. They'll be here the first week in March. :)


A friend of mine gave me a box of the Candy Cane Joe-Joes, which I LOVE. I could sit down and eat the entire box in one sitting. I never ate more than 4 a day and 2 at a time. It IS possible to not eat them all at once. This was huge for me. *huge* (In my best Brick whisper.) So with that out in the open I have faith that I can control myself with all these delicious Samoas in the house. I know the name is different, I like the old one better.

The last thing is the mooch problem. I despise sharing my food. Riley kept wanting my Joe Joes, and I HATED sharing. Today I was eating a delicious chocolaty nutella granola bar I made and Ali was whining at me to share. Serioulsy, I love my kids, but they need to learn my food is MINE!

<3 you!